Baked fish is a delicious and easy entree that takes very little time to prepare.So you want to bake a delicious slice of fish and you don’t know how long to bake fish? This is a very common question and the answer basically depends on two different factors – how thick the slice is and your personal preference.
If you’re baking the fish without a recipe, the general rule of thumb is to preheat the oven to about 400F to 450F and let it bake ten minutes for each inch of thickness. So if the slice of fish is 2 inches thick, let it cook for 20 minutes.
Following the rule above will make sure that the fish is baked and ready to eat. However, I like it when the fish is softer, much softer. I let it cook for about 45 minutes to an hour on 400F and the fish is heavenly. It’s a matter of personal preference. You can try out both ways and see for yourself whichever way suits your taste buds more.
Tips and Tricks on Baking Fish
Now that you know how long to bake fish, here are some more tips, tricks, and information on baked fish.
1. After removing the fish from the oven, it’s a good idea to let it stand for an additional 3 or 4 minutes. This really finishes the baking.
2. Here are three ways that you can prepare your slice of fish.
You can either just put a little spices like butter, garlic, lemon pepper seasoning, and a slice of lemon on top. You can also shmear mayonnaise on first, then put the spices on the mayonnaise. Or you can put some oil in a plate, put some spices of your choice in the oil, like black pepper, paprika powder, & salt and swish the fish slice in the oil. Make sure the fish is covered with the oil.
When the preparation is done, you can either cover the fish slice first in fish paper then in silver foil, or put fish paper in a disposable aluminum container and cover it with silver foil. Alternatively, you can put it in a Pyrex dish as well; but then you’ll have to wash it afterwards.
Putting it in fish paper first ensures that the skin of the fish does not stick to the container or silver foil. It also ensures that the fish is not too dry. And if you use a Pyrex dish it makes it easier to wash up afterwards.
3. If you’re not sure if your fish is finished cooking, you can test it using a fork or the edge of a knife. If the fish flakes when you insert the fork or knife, then it is done! Another way to make sure that the fish is well done, is to look at the color. A fish that’s finished baking should look opaque; opaque meaning milky white, not clear. It will also look dull, rather than shiny.
4. If you have a toaster oven and you’re just baking one or two slices of fish, baking it in the toaster oven would work best. You don’t have to heat your big oven for one or two slices of fish.
5. If you want more information on baking different kinds of fish,you can visit this site: eHow: Baked Fish.
Now that you know how long to bake fish, go ahead and put your new found knowledge to work.