Meatballs come in a wide variety of flavors, and so have many different names. The various recipes present numerous ways of cooking meatballs. Meatballs are very versatile and can be served as a main course or as a warm snack. Meatballs are great for at home entertainment or for taking to parties away from home.
You can easily find recipes for Swedish, Italian, Mediterranean, Grandma’s homemade meatballs, and many other types of meatballs online. Nowadays, many of the recipes call for pre-packaged, frozen meatballs. Although this may do in a pinch, most people still prefer the taste of fresh, homemade meatballs.
Here is one of the numerous recipes I found online for homemade cocktail party meatballs. It’s originally from Betty’s Kitchen, which uploads many wonderful recipes and videos to YouTube for those who like to cook. In this case, Betty gives a recipe for small meatballs covered with a tangy sauce. They are cooked in a slow cooker, and can be served at diverse types of parties. They can also be used for other home-styled meals.
A broiler pan or a shallow baking pan
A medium sized skillet
A slow cooker
A stove with an oven
A large mixing bowl
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 well-beaten egg
10 ¾ oz. can tomato soup
1 c. finely chopped green onion
1 c. finely chopped green pepper
4 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 ½ tbsp. fine, dry bread crumbs
2 tbsp. melted butter or margarine
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp. prepared mustard
1 tbsp. white vinegar
1 tsp. salt
- Place all of the ground beef, dry bread crumbs, egg, and salt into a large bowl, and mix them together well.
- Take the mixture and shape it into approximately 48 small meatballs, placing the meatballs on a broiler pan or shallow baking pan.
- Broil the meatballs at 400 degrees until they’re well-browned, turning them over once.
- Remove the meatballs from the oven and drain off any excess fat.
- Using a medium skillet, sauté the chopped green onion and green pepper in the melted butter, cooking the mixture until the onion and pepper is tender.
- Stir in the tomato soup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, prepared mustard, and white vinegar.
- Put the meatballs in a slow cooker and then thoroughly coat them with the sauce mixture.
- Cook the meatballs and sauce on high for approximately 2 hours. Alternative Option 1: You can bake the meatballs in the sauce in an oven set at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Alternative Option 2: You can cook the meatballs and sauce in a saucepan on top the stove, on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Use the slow cooker to keep the meatballs and sauce warm until ready to serve. May be served directly from the slow cooker or placed in a serving dish.
These tasty meatballs can be served with assorted crackers, breads, or pastas. They are also excellent for making meatball submarine sandwiches. People of all ages will most likely enjoy these tangy homemade cocktail party meatballs.