Wandering dogs are a hassle to everyone. These dogs come into yards and destroy gardens, kill grass or plants by urinating on them, annoy people in your yard, and much more. Luckily, there are many methods that you can use to keep these pesky animals out of your yard for good. The following is a list of the five most effective methods for repelling dogs:
1. Squirting the animal with a water hose – This method is great for when you find the protruder wandering onto your lawn alone. However, when the animal is with its owner it may be difficult to spray the dog while avoiding the neighbor. Also, to make this method most effective, you need to spray the animal every time it comes onto your lawn. This is simply impossible unless you are at home standing guard for all hours of the day – something that usually cannot be done.
2. Install motion activated water sensors in your lawn – These motion activated sensors make up for the times when you do not catch the animal on your lawn. What these sensors do is squirt a stream of water when they are activated by motion. These are great for small areas, but if you are trying to protect a large area, multiple sensors may be needed. Installation for these units is relatively simple; it is very similar to a sprinkler installation.
3. Trick your neighbors into thinking your yard has been chemically treated – This method may seem silly, but it can be relatively effective under certain circumstances. If your neighbors with dogs see a sign saying that your yard has been treated with chemicals, they will be more conscious of the whereabouts of their dog and will try to keep off of your lawn. By placing the sign in your yard for two weeks and then taking it down for a week and repeating, your neighbors may be more willing to try and control their dog. However, if the neighbors don’t care, the dog is not going to care about a sign in the yard. Overall, this method is only effective under certain circumstances and will only work for a short period of time.
4. Install a fence around your yard – Installing a fence is the most effective way for repelling dogs. While it may be the most effective, it is also the most expensive way as well. Not only are they expensive to install, but fences also require constant maintenance to keep them up.
5. Spray “Dog and Cat” repellant around your yard or garden- Dog and Cat repellant is a mixture of different oils and ingredients that dogs cannot stand. This mixture comes in both a liquid and granular form. The ingredients used are safe to humans and also will not harm the animals, it simply repels them. Also, this mixture will not harm your lawn or garden. With the exception of building a fence, this is one of the most effective methods for repelling dogs.
While all of these methods are effective for repelling dogs, keep in mind that there are other methods out there as well. Repelling dogs is not the easiest task to accomplish, but by selecting a method and sticking to it, you will be able to successfully get rid of the pest.