Before you get started you will need to think of the following:
- Size of animal you wish to build the house for
- The house should be large enough for two of the same size animals to lay in
- The height and width of the door way should be 4” taller and wider than the expected size of the dog when fully grown
- Make sure that if you are in a extreme cold weather that you also install insulation in the floor, walls and ceiling but still provide ventilation.
- A material list will not be provided for this project since there are many sizes of dog houses
You will first need to layout the concrete blocks to support the dog house and elevate it off the ground to reduce rot and help keep the animal dry.
Next you will need to start laying out the wood floor framing:
The floor is the next item to install (3/4” Plywood works well for this)
Next you will install the bottom plate to fabricate the walls
You are now ready to start building the walls
The upright studs will attach to the base plate and should be laid out like the above picture
As shown above the studs are standing up and are 3’4” tall (Large breed dog)
The above picture shows the roof framing from the side view, the next several images will be different views of the roof layout so you can relate them to your project
You are now ready to install the roof decking
By this point you have the concrete blocks in place, floor main framing, floor sheathing, wall studs, roof rafters and roof decking, Now all you will need to do is install sheathing on walls and create the entry then finally install the roofing, trim and paint the dog house (The following pictures are examples of what it will look like through the project and the completed project